How is memory related to intelligence?

Learning Journal Unit 4

PSYC 1504: Introduction To Psychology


Instructor: Joseph Torres


30 September 2020



How is memory related to intelligence?

The above topic is truly amazed and exciting to drive deeper with passion for me. I remembered vividly that I did badly on my studies in my primary school as I was having a weak memory with poor attentive focus, mainly due to the toxic environment I was born with that link to my unhappiness.  


My mind sets to go into an escapism frame of mind and it triggers my wild imagination often spiraling up like a wild horse in the forest.  I had always wanted to be Ultraman or Spiderman or allow some kind of aliens from outer space to take me away from this planet Earth.  My wild imagination dominated my mind most of the time even in the classroom and that affected my concentration in the class.  


Once you don't have proper concentration, you would not remember what was taught in the class.  When it comes to revising the syllabus, again my mind caught in the routine of wild imagination, I don't know what I was reading.  As a result of that, nothing can go into my mind.  Many people escape through alcoholism or drug related addiction, as for me my wild imagination is my escapism.


The infographic above comes with a quote dear to me when I was in high school.  I followed this quote closely in order for me to improve my studies.  I tried to write down what I heard.  I revise them again and again by comparing my notes with my school books and I do those exercises given to me for me to fully understand them well.


I only do well in my highschool and college on the subjects that I love.  I don't give a damn about those subjects I don't have interest in.  I love Maths and Sciences as I wanted to be an astronaut like in Space 1999 TV series and love to have my personal robot like in the TV series Lost in Space. 


Fortunately I met a colleague who taught English language from my college where I was working there as a computer science lecturer who taught me insight meditation.  After struggling for 6 months with his patience guided me how to meditate properly, I managed to break through in one of the full moon sessions.  Since then my IQ and memory which is related to my mindfulness have improved tremendously inline with my calm mind observative skills and somehow some of my childhood's long forgotten events can recall me vividly after I overcome some of my fear factors.


My 3 strategies that I am using currently further improve my IQ in relation to my memory.


First Strategies

Keep the right frame of mind by setting my day with great appreciation with tons of thankfulness which later we go into the gratitude frame of mind.  Once the mind sinks in with gratitude, it developed loving-kindness that further develops forgiveness as ease.  Once we have content happiness based on calmness, our heart develops remarkable coherence with my mind.  Critically important to have the right frame of mind to develop our memory which has strong links with our IQ and EQ too.  


Dr. Fanselow often focus on a particular kind of memory linked to fear which play key roles in processing emotions and in learning and memory.  The affected part of the brain are the amygdala and hippocampus.  FYI the forgiveness we develop can overcome some of the fear subconsciously.


Your surroundings or environment also can affect your mind indirectly.  Keep away noisy polluted environments as it can stir up fearful conditions subconsciously.


Second Strategies

Keep a constant reminder from my handphone for an interval of an hour to be thankful, do some deep yoga deep breathing exercise and drink a glass of water.  It does enhance alertness with clarity to stay in the present moment without generating any expectations.


Third Strategies

Keep our hunger for success and improve ourselves by constantly finding new ways to further improve our learning skills through memorization techniques, keep our mind positively motivated with good intention, and learning new tools to further improve our perception through keep googling it out diary bases including learning many new languages using google translate.  Currently I am utilizing many new technologies on my handphone with AI technology and photographing them.  I have a list of youtube channels I am following daily bases, i.e. Dr. Joe Dispenza, Sadhguru, Elon Musk, SpaceX, etc




3 SECRETS To Unlock The Full POWER Of Your MIND TODAY With Joe Dispenza | Lewis Howes



Consciousness: The Ultimate Intelligence – Sadhguru [Full Talk]

Words count: 741


References

UCLA (N.D.). Research to Improve our Understanding. Retrieved from https://medschool.ucla.edu/neuroscience/what-is-memory


Drake Baer (2016). Your Memory Is Not Like a Computer’s. Retrieved from https://www.thecut.com/2016/11/how-human-memory-works-not-like-a-computer.html


Nancy J. Smith (N.D). Fanselow Lab Webmaster. Retrieved from https://fanselowlab.psych.ucla.edu/


Kendra Cherry (2019). 10 Interesting Human Memory Facts You Should Know. Retrieved from https://www.verywellmind.com/facts-about-memory-2795359





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psychology Revision: Quiz Unit 1

Should the society ostracise the individuals if their sexual orientation is not the same as the majority's behaviour?