Do you have the right skill of time management to handle Covid-19 PLAN-demic lockdown ?

Reflection topic: Time management 7

Do you have the right skill of time management to handle Covid-19 PLAN-demic lockdown ?


Boris Johnson

I was born with a happy go lucky type personality that comes with a carefree attitude.  I don't give a damn on time management at all and I am often caught into daydreaming of being an Ultraman.  First 3 years of my studies I did not do well and most of my time I was caught up in my own dream world of delusion. I was well assisted in my studies when I was 10 years old by a university student who rented one of our rooms.  His encouragement helped me a lot and I took time management more seriously that came with hope of life.

Upon reflection how I am using my time currently, I am much closer to my ideal time allocation and I am proud of my achievement.  It still has plenty of room to refine it further.  I have been using Google Calendar for many years and it helps me very much. I will use it to schedule all my tasks with reminders, record all my events happening and setting most of my important goals.

Sometimes I failed to do it timely due to unforeseen circumstances changes or some fire fighting situations directly or indirectly related to me.  Last month my younger sister had a finger injury and I was worried about her as she hospitalised for a few days for a broken bone in her index finger.  So I have to reallocate my time accordingly so that I can visit her in the hospital.  

Simon Cowell

All these years I did well on my time allocation as I did make an effort to keep improving my time management by learning new skills or using new technology tools to enhance or refine it better.  Surprisingly early this year, a small financial crisis has creeped into my life when my clients give all kinds of lame excuses on late payments.  My first strategy to move forward, I need to stop all works that are related to my clients that did not pay me yet.  I have limited time resources and I can't keep doing work without getting paid  like a foolish fool. Next I need to allocate time to look out for new potential clients from online websites or social media as we were locked down due to COVID-19 PLAN-demic lockdown.  I also allocated many hours a day applying for my overseas/local job online too, and tried to seek some potential investors to expand my online business.  Based on what I read this week, I have not reached my ideal time allocation yet.  I have just started my new full time job in an international company recently.


The following strategies help me on time management.

  1. Start your day with a clear focus on what is the right thing to do.

First thing I do right after my meditation, yoga exercises, prayers, showers, breakfast, and other morning routine tasks, I will look into my Google calendar on my phone.  This clarity of what I need to accomplish is critically important for me to adjust my time allocation accordingly.  Next check all my emails and adjust priorities accordingly to the importance and urgency.  I will do the task that requires me to respond ungently and also importance to me.  Next it is urgent but not important tasks.  I will do it very fast.  Right after that is important, tasks will take most of my time.  Lastly, at the end of the day I will do things that are not important or urgent such as reading or sharing on my social media like facebook, twitter, vk, linkedln etc to get the latest updates or some news portal I personally like or supported.

  1. Have a dynamic task list and review it regularly.

I recorded all my activities and tasks in my Google Calendars' events.  I will set up a reminder and do a regular update throughout the day by constant adjustment.  I also revisit them and re-priority if needed as circumstances or situation changes.  Urgent and important tasks will be my main focus.

  1. Focus on high-value activities by using the best strategy you can think of.

Any new activities come to me, I will schedule them according to the value of the activities.  Does the reporting manager or colleagues need it from me now?  Do I get into trouble if I did do it right away?  What are the best strategic tasks shall I do ?  By questioning the value of these activities you will be able to make the more correct decision.




Words Count: 750


References

Susanne Madsen (2018). 7 Essential Time Management Skills and Strategies for Work. Retrieved from https://www.liquidplanner.com/blog/7-essential-time-management-strategies/





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psychology Revision: Quiz Unit 1

How is memory related to intelligence?

Should the society ostracise the individuals if their sexual orientation is not the same as the majority's behaviour?