Am I intrinsically motivated learner and Extrinsically motivated learner ?

Taken from fakebuddhaquotes.com

What is extrinsic and Intrinsic motivation?

What motivates us to do things?  What drives us to move to do things ?  There are 4 main factors that affect our behaviours, Perception, Learning, Motivation and Emotion.  Psychologists did many studies on this topic and as you can motivation is one of the most important factors that affected us profoundly.  Basically there are 2 types of motivation, one comes from deep within us and another one comes from external of us.  Both types are important and it affects us on our perception, learning and emotionally too.  Fortunately I did a psychology subject while I was in college.  It helps me profoundly and lies deep within me all of my life.  Self introspection is a must to understand our foundation of our motivation internally which is also known as intrinsic or externally which is also known as extrinsic.



When I was 14 years old, I changed my life completely and almost 100% upside down.  I have been active in the LEO club since I was 13 years old and first time I was elected to be Vice President of the club at the age 14 years old.  I always wanted to serve society generally.  I love singing and giving public speeches on topics related leadership.  LEO CLUB gave us  a lot of opportunities to develop ourselves in various ways.  After a while we gain a lot of experiences and that gives opportunities to develop our leadership role.  That's why it is called LEO CLUB as "L.E.O."stands for Leadership, Experience and Opportunity.  I am very grateful to LEO CLUB which always encourages us to develop leadership qualities by participating in all kinds of social service activities in the fields of health care, elders, children, disable people, literacy and education, and self-development. 



We started our basic motivation from our childhood which was mostly based on extrinsically motivation from our both beloved parents or closed one.  As we go alone, we develop intrinsic motivation.  Since I have very passion for singing/music and am ever ready to serve, I develop my own intrinsic motivation from these passions.  I did not have a happy childhood environment and naturally the circumstances become the great motivation for me to change it.  The extrinsic motivation mostly based on unhappiness drives me to build up my intrinsic motivation that lies deep with me profoundly.  I am very grateful to these unhappiness I have encountered before.  I remembered vividly one of the small Buddhist booklets to keep my spirit alive each time my motivation went down.  Due to my passionate ambition, I became a seeker to find my own way to get rid of the unhappiness I was facing at that time.  I always wanted to join the UFO and take me away from Planet Earth. Today interestingly I still have the desire to have space travel.  I am looking for various ways to move to Planet Mars someday in the near future.

My ultimate goal of my life is to be a great leader to help restore humanity on this planet Earth and lead them to be a more spiritual aspect of their life. I always say "ALL LIVES MATTER," especially our beloved animals and not forgetting our one one environment we have.

From what I have been through in my life, both intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation are equally important.  Today thanks to the internet technology, I can watch so many videos from youtube on motivation or various topics and that's extrinsic motivation.  I start my day listening to a few of these motivated based videos, music and also do that before I go to sleep at night.  These extrinsically motivated videos really help me to stir up my intrinsic motivation.  Next I will start visualizing the path reaching my goals and dreams.  Both extrinsic motivation and intrinsic motivation help me to improve my art of learning, gain more confidence in my life with happiness that I am always something to look up for and it changes my perception tremendously to the point I sometimes I was shocked myself so much changes over the years.  I am proud of my achievement and hope to continue to do well the rest of my life. 

Finally I would say I belong to both types of learner, intrinsically motivated learner and extrinsic motivated learner.  Perhaps the ratio might be slightly different depending on the circumstances I was in at that time.



References

Kendra Cherry (2020). Differences of Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation. Retrieved from https://www.verywellmind.com/differences-between-extrinsic-and-intrinsic-motivation-2795384

Wikipedia (2020), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_clubs.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psychology Revision: Quiz Unit 1

How is memory related to intelligence?

A snapshot of your current level of happiness